Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Survey Says!

There is a list that circulates Facebook and it is titled something like, "10 Things Not To Say To A Cancer Patient." I've never paid much attention as to who originally wrote the article because I've seen other similar goofy articles about "How Not To Offend Your Cat," so the author is likely some overly sensitive Joe Shmoe hiding behind his computer with nothing better to do than use fabricated lists to boss people around on social media. I doubt they actually went around and took a poll of 100 people, Family Feud style, and came to the general consensus that you better not say certain things to people or you might hurt their feelings. I think that is actually called common sense. However, I will admit that my curiosity has gotten the best of me and I have perused the list. There was nothing on it that evoked negative feelings or caused me to pump my fist into the air and say "You tell 'em!!!" One reason being that I'm not that easily offended and the second reason is because I know that, for the most part, people mean well. I don't mind the questions or stares that my head scarf evokes because, I get it. Though, I do have to admit that there have been a few comments that have been made to me throughout the last few years that left me to be at a loss of words or even angered. The three most outrageous things that I have ever been asked or told are:

1. I had spent some time with this girl for a special project.  I just met her that day and she was asking about my diagnosis. Simple enough. I started out by telling her that I had Breast Cancer and that it was Stage IV and... She interrupted me, asking, "So, like, that means that you are pretty lucky to even be alive right now, right!?" She had a bewildered look on her face as if I was actually a ghost staring back at her. I kind of half laughed as a response, momentarily at a loss for words. She asked innocently but it was also extremely blunt in the same breath. Once I had processed what she asked, I took a second before I responded that I was actually doing well and I think we are all lucky to be alive at any given moment.

(On a scale of 1-10 with 1= not offensive and 10= unconscionable)

Survey Says: 2

2. I was at a local watering hole with some of my favorite gal pals, listening to a band. I was getting ready to head home and this older man approached me and in a way, that I think was his gray bearded, missing some teeth, way of flirting with me, asked me, "What is with that Taliban Rag ye got there on yer head?" Now that one? I was stunned. I actually wasn't pissed, but purely stunned by his ignorance and his word choice. My small community may tilt toward the conservative side but in my opinion, he had all but tilted his old ass completely upside down. I was so disgusted with him that I sharply replied that I had cancer and I walked away. My friend Jennifer could not walk away as easily as I had though. She was deeply offended in a way that it had not struck me and she got in his face and put him in his place. I'm lucky that night, and every day, that I have friends that are sensitive to my situation and always willing to defend and support me.

Survey Says: 8


3. The one that probably angered me the most was actually an online tug-of-words. A friend of mine had kindly posted on Facebook about the recent Relay For Life event that our town hosts. His caption for the post was something that referenced all the cancer patients among us, as fighting our respective battles. It was a heartfelt thing that his other Facebook "friend" decided to rip apart. He said that cancer patients are not battling anything. I immediately felt a rage surge inside me on behalf of myself and everyone else who does fight for their lives daily and thus, I got involved and said as much. He told me that we are not battling anything because we are not soldiers in the military who are in actual battle. Now, I have nothing but pure respect for our military. I know that they put their lives on the line everyday to protect me and my freedom and I'm forever appreciative of that, but that had nothing to do with the original post. He said that you can't actually fight cancer, there is no verb. I told him that we most certainly do fight. Sometimes we fight to get out of bed in the morning, we fight against side effects of medications, and we fight daily pain. If you look in a dictionary, the word battle has several different meanings and can apply to several different circumstances. Eventually, I abandoned the conversation because he was not going to back down but even I was surprised by how angry that altercation had left me. I'm not claiming to be stronger or braver or more important that anybody, but I am in a battle for my life and that faceless person from the internet doesn't get to tell me otherwise.

Survey Says: 10

 I mean this post to be a relatively light-hearted, but still a true view into what I have experienced since being diagnosed. Now, for the most part people mean well and they are timid and gracious with their inquiries and comments. But every now and then, you find a thorn among the roses. If you end up reading that article on Facebook, that I originally told you about, you can  learn what would be appropriate to say or ask to someone if you are unsure. However, if you ever find yourself a contestant on Family Feud and this topic comes up, of "What Not To Say To A Cancer Patient," you can bet these three comments will probably be on the board!



8 comments:

  1. Keep battling and you have an army of friends and supporters behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a sign of gratitude for how my wife was saved from CANCER, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My wife suffered cancer in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, she always complain of abnormal vaginal bleeding, and she always have pain during sexual intercourse. . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure her. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure to cancer . I never imagined cancer. has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my wife will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my wife used it and in one months time he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. cancer. has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098765@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my story

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am from Texas. I was in trouble when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with HIV/aids… I though about my children and my husband, I know my children will face a serious problem when I’m gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was surfing the internet I found Dr. melena’s contact number. I called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I’m cured by dr. melena anderson vaccine/cure, I’m very thankful to Dr. melena and very happy with my hubby and children. he also has cure/remedies for other disease like cancer, herpes, hepatitis, als e.t.c For more information on how to get cured contact me on my active email: dr.melena.anderson@gmail.com, dr.melena.anderson@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS WITH HIS HERBAL PORTION I WAS COMPLETELY CURED FROM BREAST CANCER.
    I'm here again to appreciate. DR WILLIAMS God will always continue to bless you more abundantly, for the good works you done in my life, I will always keep on writing good and posting my testimonies about you on the Internet, I’m Jessica from Orlando, Florida. I was tested breast cancer positive, I saw a blog on how DR WILLIAMS cured people with his herbal portion, i did not believe in natural medicine but i just decided to give him a try, I contacted him,and explain my situation to him,few day later he sent me the herb, after taking doc Williams herbal medicine for few week i also got my healing with his herbal portion, i am so happy. If you have any type of cancer problem ,you can contact him on Drwilliams098675@gmail.com for advice and for his product,i hope this testimony also help some one out there .

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are David
    Clara I’m a citizen of United Kingdom, My younger sister was sicking of
    breast cancer and her name is David Sandra I and my family have taking her
    to all kind of hospital in UK still yet no good result. I decided to go to
    the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I find a lady
    called peter Lizzy she was testifies to the world about the goodness of a
    herbal man who has the root and half to cure all kind of disease and the
    herbal man email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man for my
    younger sister help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him
    my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be
    cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that
    I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how
    can I receive the cure that I am in UK, he told me

    That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can
    transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for
    the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier
    service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week
    complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not
    knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the
    miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the
    herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he
    didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him
    and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if
    you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from
    the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whatsapp him
    +2348110114739 for the cure, he will help you out with the
    problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me
    davidclara223@gmail.com or whatsApp me +1845-652-1151

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in August of 2010. A precious friend told me about Dr Itua Herbal Center in West Africa,She gave me his contact number and email address,I contacted him quickly so he give me guaranty that his herbal medicine will cure my cancer and i will be heal forever I said Okay.I ask him about the process for the cure,he ask me to pay for the fees which i did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine then he instructed me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure.I told Gomez my friend about the herbal medicine so he gave me go ahead to drink it.So after drinking it for two weeks i was cured I'm so grateful and i promise i will recommend anyone with cancer to him and that what i'm doing.Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes.
    Here Is His Contact Info......[Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/Whatsapp...+2348149277967]

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm 15 years old. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome,Fibromyalgia, Diabetes Hepatitis even Cancer I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com I also chat with him on what's app +2348149277967 he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guild lines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here is a great herbal doctor who cured me of Hepatitis B. his name is Dr. Imoloa. I suffered Hepatitis B for 11 years, I was very weak with pains all over my body my stomach was swollen and I could hardly eat. And one day my brother came with a herbal medicine from doctor Imoloa and asked me to drink and I drank hence there was no hope, and behold after 2 week of taking the medicine, I started feeling relief, my swollen stomach started shrinking down and the pains was gone. I became normal after the completion of the medication, I went to the hospital and I was tested negative which means I’m cured. He can also cure the following diseases with his herbal medicine...lupus, hay fever, measles, body pain,  dry cough, diabetics hepatitis A.B.C,  mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, bile salt disease, fol ate deficiency,  diarrhoea, cardiovascular disease,  Neoplasms, chronic respiratory disease, mental and behavioural disorder,  liver/kidney inflammatory, eye cancer, skin cancer disease, malaria, chronic kidney disease, high blood pressure, food poisoning, parkinson disease, bowel cancer, bone cancer, brain tumours, asthma,  arthritis, epilepsy, cystic fibrosis, lyme disease, muscle aches, cholera, fatigue, muscle aches, shortness of breath, tuberculosis,  alzhemer's disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis,  Anxiety Disorders, Back Pain, Crohn's Disease, Chronic renal failure,  acute myeloid leukaemia, acute pancreatitis, chronic inflammatory joint disease, inflammatory bowel disease,  Addison's disease,   back acne, breast cancer, allergic bronchitis, Celia disease, bulimia disease, congenital heart disease, cirrhosis, fetal alcohol spectrum,  constipation,  fungal nail infection, fabromyalgia,   (love spell) and many more. he is a great herbalist man.  Contact him on email; drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. You can also reach him on whatssap- +2347081986098.

    ReplyDelete