Friday, August 9, 2013

Is it getting hot in here? Oh no, that's just my early menopause!

 I got chosen for surgery!!!!

 Ok, wait a second... let me back up.

It wasn't very nice to trick you in that way. I was actually chosen for surgery; but, not like you may think, it isn't a part of the trial. Let me explain...

If you are a Facebook friend, as well as an avid blog reader, then you know that last Tuesday was the day that I received my latest PET Scan. I get scans every 3 months to see how I am responding to my current treatment plan. Then, on the following Thursday, its results day. Dun. Dun. Dun.

Unfoooortunately, this time... the results were not so good.

As it turns out, my cancer is progressing. It has not invaded any other parts of my body; however, it is showing more activity in the currently affected areas than before. They can tell because the radioactive material that they inject into me, for the scan, is glowing a little bit brighter than it was last time. The increased activity is caused by the fact that my medicine, Tamoxifen, is no longer doing it's job of blocking my body's hormones from feeding the cancer. Uh what?! Someone at the big ole Tamoxifen factory is going to be getting a very heated letter from me later, demanding a refund!

While I sign, seal, and deliver my disgust for a "faulty" drug, the real next step is surgery. So, see...I wasn't completely lying... I did get chosen for surgery, only this surgery is to remove my ovaries. In doing so, my body will no longer be able to produce the progesterone, estrogen, or babies. This also means that I go into early menopause. Eeeks! I'm not sure that I'm ready for my body to jump ahead 25 years...I know I'm not exactly a spring chicken anymore but that seems like it could be a bit of an extreme change. I've experienced hot flashes with my current medication and let me tell you, multiplying those by like ten (a day) to where I'm suddenly watching my makeup drip down my face in a sweaty puddle, while standing in an air conditioned room, does not appeal to me. But this is how we will beat cancer because my body cannot have those hormones anymore, so it must be done. Please remind me to put a pocket fan on my next shopping list...

Additionally, in the wake of this slightly unnerving news, I also found out that my current status makes me ineligible to sign up for the surgical trial. I'm not gonna lie, that was a blow...or lack there of... that took the wind out of my sails. In fact, it caused my sails to complete deflate and tangle around me with emotion. I had previously decided that I was going to enroll in the trial and now it is not an option for me anymore. But I can't forget that my intention with the trial was to let "whatever is meant to be, be..." so I think I got my answer.

In reality, not much is going to change. Sure, I'm a little worse for the wear but really when it comes down to it, we are just trying a new technique. It is an event of trial and error to see what combination will best fit me and stabilize my cancer. It may be a shade of bad news, but it is not a darkness. We are moving on, as positive as ever.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,
    I wanted to send you a link for some tea that may help with the hot flashes. http://www.greendeva.com/shop-herbal-tea-blends/
    Here's hoping it works! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete